UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

General question on design in iOS

Forums > iOS

Hi Everybody

I am learning how to code with UIKit. A skill that I lack is to create a UI design the way I imagine it. Would you have any tips or resources in this regard? Blogs, videos or books anything would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Hello,

so you "see" in your head exactly how it should look like? Or you want to learn how to design stuff to look good?

Hi filip

First things first: Thanks for replying and thanks for your blog. All that you've written on compositional layout helped me alot :-).

Now to your question. yes, i "see" how it should look like and would like to create this in code. But unfortunately I do not know where to start. I would like to learn more on the visual changes that ar possible with IB or in Code.

Thanks! That is great to hear.

Do you have an example of design you would like to create? It is hard to provide tips in the abstract.

But generally I try to "deconstruct" the design into smaller pieces which are in most cases easier to create. Some complex shapes may be "just" a few UIViews overlaid together with the same background for example. More complex stuff is either created with drawing in code or by using vector images.

It also helps to start creating the design even if you don't know how to build all the parts just yet.

Alright, I'll try to do that. Deconstruct UI in to smaller chunks and start to code the design even when I am not sure how to implement it. I believe that while coding a UI it might also be easier to get answers or tips as I'll be asking more specific and problemoriented questions.

Thanks again for your time and help!

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.