UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Hacking with MacOS - Project 10 Weather Bar

Forums > Books

Project 10 requires an API key from darksky.net to make the app. Dark Sky is no longer taking new developers for their API, so no key available. Is there a work around for this?

I actually enjoyed Project 10 by having to change things in the code to use another public API - OpenWeatherMap. I actually learned more about the topics covered by having to dig into everything. Just thought others wouldlike to know.

The problem with using external services. Always the risk of them shutting down or being bought up. It will be interesting to see what Apple plans to do with them. Maybe we'll see a WeatherKit in the future :)

I ran in to the same problem, and found the same solution. OpenWeatherMap is fairly close to the DarkSky API so it wasn't really any larger differences.

@twostraws: Might be an idea to update the book to cover it instead, if you haven't already :)

Thanks for the suggestion! In fact OpenWeatherMap.org has recently introduced a brand new One Call API to allow easier transition from the DarkSky API.

Had to go the same route as well. Unfortunately haven't been able to get percipitation chance % from OWM, so I fell back to using rain mm in the last hour. Great project though

Great tip to use OpenWeatherMap. I've just done the same using the One Call API; a few sight differences as others have found but nothing major and motivated me to read and understand the API rather than just copy verbatim from the text!

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by RevenueCat

SPONSORED Take the pain out of configuring and testing your paywalls. RevenueCat's Paywalls allow you to remotely configure your entire paywall view without any code changes or app updates.

Learn more here

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.