UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: UltimatePortfolio App: First steps in UI: FetchRequest in View

Forums > Articles

Dear all,

I have an app architecture related question.

According to MVVM design, a View should not directly access the Model. Only via a ViewModel access to the model should be possible.

In the UltimatePortfolio App, fetchRequest in the view is used to access objects in CoreData. So in my understanding, a view is accessing the model directly, either with the property wrapper @FetchRequest or via the initializer. Also, it creates a tight coupling between the view and CoreData, which may not be preferred.

Would that design choice not be in contrast to the MVVM design?

See also: Fetching objects from CoreData in SwiftUI

Maybe I'm getting something wrong or missed something (maybe the UltimatePortfolio App is not aiming for a MVVM design or similar, or the mentioned approach is indeed in accordance with MVVM design).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tobias

@cgaaf  

I don't believe there was mention that the Ultimate Portfolio app was specifically aiming to conform to the MVVM architecture paradigm.

@cgaafary Thank you for the quick response and the clarification!

In case someone has a good resource which covers MVVM and core data (other than the one I already provided in my original post), I'd greatly appreciate it.

TAKE YOUR SKILLS TO THE NEXT LEVEL If you like Hacking with Swift, you'll love Hacking with Swift+ – it's my premium service where you can learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI, functional programming, algorithms, and more. Plus it comes with stacks of benefits, including monthly live streams, downloadable projects, a 20% discount on all books, and free gifts!

Find out more

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.