UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SwitchBuddy: Nintendo Switch companion app (Games, Gallery, Transfer and More)

Forums > App Announcements

Hello,

I have just published new app. If you own Nintendo Switch and frequently transfer screenshots, this app should make your life easier :-)

Nintendo Switch companion app SwitchBuddy, games update

Transfer

SwitchBuddy makes it easier to transfer screenshots and videos from your Nintendo Switch console to your mobile device. After you connect the app to your Switch it loads all the screenshots (or video) and allows you to save everything with a single tap. SwitchBuddy will remember your console and next time you wont have to scan the second QR code.

You can also choose the import destination. By default SwitchBuddy will save screenshots and videos to your Photos library, but you can change this to iCloud Drive instead.

Gallery

View transferred screenshots and videos in built-in gallery. Game captures are grouped by game and sorted by date taken. You can also easily share them from here.

Games

Newest addition. Track upcoming game releases for NIntendo Switch. Favorite games to make them available for countdown widgets and never miss another launch. Games support universal links and can be easily shared with friends.

SwitchBuddy - Nintendo companion available widgets

Deals

SwitchBuddy lists current Nintendo eShop sales in North America and Europe allowing you to conveniently stay on top the latest deals and save money on games!

Nintendo Switch companion eShop sales deals listing

News

Stay up-to-date on all things Switch. SwitchBuddy offers articles and videos from the most popular Switch-focused creators.

The app is now live on the App Store (IndieAppsCatalog) And in case you are looking for Android version, we have got you covered as well ;-)

Press kit is also available. Official website.

I am open to feedback. Thanks!

Hi, It seems you are on a app launching spree, congrats!

Hehe, thanks 😁 It is a more of a coincidence really..

I also released new TestFlight build which makes the process of connecting to Switch even smoother. Now you can scan the first QR code, confirm WiFi connection and done!

The app is also available via Airport

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by RevenueCat

SPONSORED Take the pain out of configuring and testing your paywalls. RevenueCat's Paywalls allow you to remotely configure your entire paywall view without any code changes or app updates.

Learn more here

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Hi again! So I tried creating video to showcase how SwitchBuddy works: How to transfer screenshots from Nintendo Switch to iPhone - step by step

I would really appreaciate feedback. Is the video clear enough? Too fast? Too slow? Thanks πŸ™‚

Hello! Back with another small update. πŸš€

I have added themes inspired by Joy-Cons and fixed some minor bugs.

SwitchBuddy - available themes

Hello again! New TestFlight build is available :-) This one with iPad support and new icon.

iPad version offers drag & drop for the screenshots as can be seen in this video.

Hello, back with another update :-)

I have added new theme inspired by the Switch OLED and added option to use Telephoto camera when scanning QR. This can be super useful in TV mode, as it should work from your sofa 😁

SwitchBuddy - transfer screenshots from Nintendo Switch to your phone or tablet OLED update

Hello again! Wanted to share a couple of updates.

Beyond stuff like bug fixes, UI improvements and more themes (inspired by Switch Lite), I have added a way to zoom the camera to effortlessly scan QR codes from your sofa when Switch is in the docked mode. See GIF below πŸ™‚

Thanks to Apple's API this was actually quite easy to achieve, more than the Telephoto switch I had before.

SwitchBuddy iOS Digital camera zoom example

Recently I have also added Tip Jar which unlocks all themes.

Happy to answer any dev and non-dev questions about this ✌️

Back with another update. Version 1.6.0 is one of the biggest so far.

I have finally shipped Gallery feature to conveniently view your transferred screenshots. Gallery groups them by game and sorts by date taken. You can also quickly share them via "tap and hold" gesture.

With gallery there is new option to export game captures (screenshots and videos) to in-app storage, along with older options: Photos and iCloud Drive.

And I added "Issues" screen with a few pointers when connection to Switch doesn't work.

SwitchBuddy - gallery update, export to in-app and more

I had some success getting this update out via press release (got article on Cult of Mac for example) so if any fellow indie devs are looking for inspiration how to press release for update, you can view mine here.

Hello! I am currently having fun with icons and experimenting with offering extra ones for in-app tipping. Like this inspired by Splatoon:

SwitchBuddy Splatoon icon - Switch companion

Hello again,

I am currently working on the biggest update - I know I said this about version 2.0 but version 3.0 is even bigger πŸ˜‡

It will add the ability to keep up with game releases for Nintendo Switch so you will never miss a cool game again. And with available countdown widgets, you can always know how many days are left until a game is out.

It is currently available via TestFlight - https://testflight.apple.com/join/nUoEFKJN

SwitchBuddy - Nintendo Switch companion games update

Hello,

getting the version 3 out took a bit more time than expected. Also had some issues with App Review, but the update is finally out!

Below are the official release notes:

The most significant update yet. The main new feature is the ability to track new game releases via the brand-new Games tab. Don't miss any important games!

You can view screenshots and videos and add the release date to the calendar or favorite games to make them available for countdown widgets!

I have also improved the Gallery section - it supports landscape, and you can select the thumbnail size.

Also launching SwitchBuddy+: 100% optional subscription that unlocks extra goodies and removes the limit on the number of favorite games.

Get the app here.

Hello again,

I have been pushing so many small updates I forgot to update the post. Here are the changelogs:

• Added link to "Games FAQ" that answers common questions about games in SwitchBuddy
  • Widgets are now available on iOS 14 (previously iOS 15+ was required)
  • Improved error logging to help me fix issues faster
  • Long press on website links or videos in game detail to quickly copy link
  • Viewed game details are now also saved locally - so if later you are not connected to the Internet, you should still be able to view these games
  • Contrast fixes for themes

• Added Widget guide (in More)
  • You can now more easily copy link to games (without opening the share sheet) long press on the game in list or on the share button in game detail to reveal "Copy link" action
  • Re-ordered videos in game detail to show the most recent first
  • Other smaller improvements

• You can now search the list of games
  • Better game detail: Added artworks and game modes (if available)
  • Calendar events now have "From SwitchBuddy" note allowing you to search for them in Calendar app
  • Better shared game website (you can freely share games with friends who don't yet have SwitchBuddy installed :-))
  • New: Double tap tab bar items to quickly scroll to the top (works for Gallery, Games and News) Fixes:
  • Fixed countdowns on shared game detail image (tap on the cartridge on detail page)
  • Fixed opening game detail from widget/URL not working if another game is opened already

• Improved game detail - share button is easy to find, add to calendar is closer to release date
  • Added ability to share games from the list (long press)
  • Added one-time unlock for SwitchBuddy+ by popular demand. If you don't like subscriptions, this is for you.
  • Fixed contrast issues on game detail with certain themes
  • Fixed incorrectly grouped released games in Favorites
  • (Hopefully) fixed issue where games list isn't probably refreshed And already preparing the next big-ish update :-)

• Added ability to share individual game screenshots
  • Improved adding to calendar: You can now edit existing events instead of creating new ones when tapping the button again
  • You can now favorite/unfavorite games from the list (with long press)
  • Screenshots and videos are now exported with the original date they were first captured (this changes the "created" date, "modified" will be date of export)

And a tip for fellow indie developers.

Write your update notes as you are working on the update. This makes it super easy to have the notes ready when submitting new version to App Store and won't have to think that is new.

Hello, new SwitchBuddy update is just landing in the App Store.

I have redesigned the Games section to provide better access to different "categories" of games. This includes the older "Upcoming" and your favorites + newly also Featured section with big names and "New Releases" to catch up on games released in the past months.

I have also implemented the Shared with You APIs which Apple added in iOS 16. And I have blog post about the experience if you are curious.

SwitchBuddy - Nintendo Switch companion Shared with You

And entire changelog:

Better Games section!

• You can now access Favorite games faster.
  • Featured section to not miss big games
  • "New Releases" section listing recently released games
  • Quick access to Widget guide and Games FAQ

Shared with You (iOS 16)

Added support for Shared with You. When friends send you link via Messages, these links will be available in the app. Look for "Shared with You" card in the Games section. You may need to enabled this feature in Settings -> Messages -> Shared with You -> toggle SwitchBuddy

Up Next widget for SwitchBuddy+

New widget type that shows up to 4 of your upcoming favorite games. Available for SwitchBuddy+ supporters.

Fixes:

• Contrast fixes for some themes
  • Other smaller fixes here and there

Nintendo Switch companion app - shared with you update

Hello, back with another wave of updates. Mostly for the "Games" section that evolved quite a bit.

• Search games: With new search, you should be able to find all the available Switch games
  • Organize your Gallery: You can now name groups in gallery and quickly jump between them with "Jump menu".
  • Discover awesome games with new "Game collections" in the Games tab
  • Easily share your Friend Code with friends. You can save your code in SwitchBuddy and then easily show QR code to your friends to scan
  • Calendar widget for SwitchBuddy+. See all your favorited games in a current month on a single widget
  • Better loading of Games section - the rows should no longer jump around
  • Improved games grid design
  • Some smaller color tweaks and similar

And here are the currently available widgets

SwitchBuddy - Nintendo companion available widgets

You're a God! πŸ˜‰

Hello! I am back with big-small update that tooks a loooot of work on the backend side.

SwitchBuddy now shows Nintendo eShop prices (including sales if available) and you can quickly open the eShop from the detail page. This feature is available in North America and European countries due to technical limitations.

And having prices + sales also opened huge new opportunities for me - so stay tuned!

Nintendo Switch companion - Nintendo eShop links and prices SwitchBuddy

Another exciting update is live! Version 3.2.0 brought Nintendo eShop sales directly to the app - so you can stay on top of current deals and save money.

I have also added an option to browse all games by modes; this is mostly there to quickly find new games that support split-screen and co-op play for local gaming.

Nintendo Switch companion eShop sales deals listing

Super happy to introduce another big update πŸŽ‰

Building on the Deals feature from previous update, this one adds the option to add games to "Wishlist" to be able to quickly check current prices and see sales. (Notifications for sales will be coming later - it needs quite a bit of work).

This update also adds the option to browse games by specific genre (like RTS, Arcade, Shooter, etc..)

Nintendo Switch companion app - wishlist, genres

Almost two months later, another update is now live πŸŽ‰

Version 3.4.0 improves previously introduced wishlist - it now checks prices in the background for possible sales on the Nintendo eShop and will send you notification which brings us to..

Notifications support: for sales as mentioned, notifications can also be configured for individual game releases and when your favorite game first gets a exact release date, you will also be notified.

I have also added the option to select region for Nintendo eShop to cover countries that aren't supported.

Nintendo eShop prices check, lock screen widgets SwitchBuddy

Notifications

Get notified about game releses, sales on your wishlished games and more!

eShop Region settings

eShop-related features now work for everyone! You can also select the source country for deals and pricing info. It is unfortunately not possible to support every country.

Free-to-Play list

SwitchBuddy now lists all the games that are free in the eShop. (you can find it on the Games screen).

Countdown widgets themes

With new theming options you can change the background of countdown & bookmark widgets.

Better Transfer

You can quickly start new transfer with brand-new widgets or icon shortcut (long-press on the app icon on your home screen)

Hello all! Back with update 3.5.0.

Finally managed to finish and ship OpenCritic integration πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

This makes it possible to show the critics score's on game detail screen + the ability to browse available reviews so you can better make a decision whether to buy particular game or not.

OpenCritic scores also means I can have "Best of 2023" collection of games that is automatically updated allowing you to find the best games of this year.

In the future I want to make more use of this integration to perhaps offer filtering of deals based on the ratings and similar.

Nintendo Switch app SwitchBuddy OpenCritic integration, reviews

Hello! Another update just went live. Version 3.6.0 brings filters.

Easily discover games with filters

You can now filter games lists when browsing by Game mode or Genre. For example you can see only Split-screen racing games with overage rating over 80.

Filter deals (SwitchBuddy+)

Lost in hundreds of discounts? Use the new Filter! You can filter based on game modes, genres and OpenCritic rating. For example you can easily find the best discounted games by using the average rating filter.

This update also includes various little fixes and tweaks.

SwitchBuddy find best nintendo switch deals and games

The Deals filter requires SwitchBuddy+ but you can try it with Free trial or with TestFlight - https://testflight.apple.com/join/J3HNn9uB

Update 3.6.4 is out along with couple of cool smaller features.

• Meet "Shake Shortcuts Menu". Shake your device to access Transfer / Games Search / Friend Code anywhere in the app (iOS 16+)
  • Enabled Live Text in the gallery. You can now easily copy text from screenshots or create stickers (stickers require iOS 17).
  • Better UI for StandBy
  • Prettier "GamingBuddy" promo screen that is sometimes displayed
  • Minor bug fixes and similar

Here are videos showcasing the Shake Shortcuts and iMessage stickers creation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_3I2p5JGGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpRHHOpN3UY

Just released version 3.6.7, the last update for this year.

You can now see which games offer demo version and also filter available Deals based on this criteria (filtering is Plus feature).

There is also brand-new "New Reveals" list for just announced Switch games, ESRB & PEGI ratings info and some bug fixes.

SwitchBuddy: Nintendo Switch games with demos, filtering

Few recent updates.

Support for Bundles When you open a game that is a bundle, you can easily view all games that are part of that bundle.

Games that are part of a bundle also link to these bundles with new "Bundled in" section.

Preferences There is new "Preferences" screen in More so important app settings are available from a single place. You can also customize the recently introduced Shake Menu or turn it off completely.

Bug fixes and visual tweaks.

Gallery improvements

You can change how the gallery shows screenshots and videos. New option allows grouping by date instead of game. There is also the ability to "join" multiple groups by naming them the same.

New widgets

Two new widgets to easily view Featured games. Requires SwitchBuddy+.

This update also contains bug fixes and other smaller tweaks & improvements.

Preparation for Nintendo Directs and other events

You should start seeing events in the News tab once new ones are announced and more improvements are on the way.

• Genres and game modes "tags" on game details are now tappable
  • Added support for Chilean eShop
  • Onboarding improvements, bug fixes and other tweaks.

Couple of updates recently landed:

Β 3.6.11

New simple themes

If you don't like the colorful themes, you can now choose much simpler "accent" themes that more follow the iOS system design.

This update also improves the onboarding experience, fixes couple of issues and makes it easier to change app icon.

Β 3.6.12

You can now easily find all available demos when browsing by Game mode or Genre with the extended filter options.

UI improvements and tweaks for the game detail screen.

Better indicator that something is a video in the Gallery instead of the play button that covered the thumbnail.

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by RevenueCat

SPONSORED Take the pain out of configuring and testing your paywalls. RevenueCat's Paywalls allow you to remotely configure your entire paywall view without any code changes or app updates.

Learn more here

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Reply to this topic…

You need to create an account or log in to reply.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.