UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Fast Math: Mental Math Trainer

Forums > App Announcements

Dear HWS community,

I would like to introduce you to Fast Math: Mental Math Trainer! It is my first iOS app and implemented in basically 99% SwiftUI.

The idea for this app came to mind when I was preparing for a job interview in an industry that is notorious for requiring mental math skills. But when I checked the app store, I was not really happy with what I saw. All existing apps that I checked out missed at least one (or all) of the following features:

• Most importantly: A great UI and UX - In my mind this is key to keep people to come back and stick with actually practicing on a regular basis.
  • Proper accessibility support: Math skills are important for all of us and can help in many situations. This should be adressed with proper support of contrast, reduced motion, screen reader and font size settings.
  • Incentives to build a habit: To me, for building a habit, its key to get incentivized. This can be achieved by gamification (setting challenges, offering rewards, etc.) as well as by providing proper statistics that let you check on your progress.
  • Authentic localization: In my opinion, to actually reach a large number of people across countries, localization is critical. But that should not mean using Google Translate to translate your app into 30 languages. Rather focus on a couple of key languages that provide the user with a natural and authentic localization so that they can feel at home.

I would be happy if you could check out what I did and appreciate any feedback and improvement ideas you might have!

Fast Math App Store Screenshots

App Store Link: https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1551025256?pt=122619575&ct=HWS&mt=8

Very nice. It looks very professional.

I like the interface, high scores, and the celebrations. I'll definitely play around with this some more.

Reminds me somewhat of BrainAge for the DS, although the implementation of BrainAge and a stylus didn't work very well.

Two things from a user perspective and these are just my personal opinions: I didn't like the sound or vibrate and I immediately turned those off. Fortunately, it was fairly easy to find. I'm also not a fan of subscriptions, though I know more and more things are going that way. I tend to avoid subscription based apps unless it's something I really want.

Great job!

Thanks for the feedback, it is very much appreciated! You mentioned a couple of valid points. Especially the subscription model is something that I am still playing around with. Maybe a one-off fee would be a better fit.

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by RevenueCat

SPONSORED Take the pain out of configuring and testing your paywalls. RevenueCat's Paywalls allow you to remotely configure your entire paywall view without any code changes or app updates.

Learn more here

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.