UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED -Very basic question - how do you move a file within the project navigator?

Forums > 100 Days of SwiftUI

@CJ  

Hi - this is a really basic question that I feel should be obvious but I cannot find an answer anywhere-

How do you move a file within the project navigator area?

I opened a file and it got created outside of the main project folder and I just wanted to drag and drop it into the folder. I thought this should be a straightforward shift-left click and drag manouvere but no that doesn't work in X-Code. In the end I had to delete and re-import into the correct location but this seems a very convoluted solution to a simple problem!

Did you move the file in Xcode (which should work as expected) or move it in Finder (this doesn't work as expected)?

You can see the Full Path to a file in the identity inspector if Xcode. You have to adapt the path there if you move a file with Finder.

@CJ  

Hi -thanks for your response. I mean the bar at the side in xcode that shows all the project files (I thought it was called project navigator but could be wrong). Sorry, I don't know what identity inspector is or where to find it. Thanks

As you have a subscription to HWS+, you could also look at this video for the Ultimate Portfolio app creation, where Paul describes reorganising the project files.

@CJ  

Many thanks - will take a look

Identity inspector is the in right pane of Xcode. When you click the i in the circle you get information on the file (or any item, piece of code) which has the focus.

@CJ  

Thanks - I don't have that - I have other inspectors but not that one (I am using Xcode 14.1 if that makes a difference).

I am not sure this is really what I need though. I literally just want to drag and drop a file above/below another file - really nothing complicated! I actually just tried it now after watching the video and managed to get a green plus sign to appear but now cannot do it again. I am using a macbook mousepad. I am wondering if there is an issue with responsiveness or if I am not clicking on the right part of the file - is there a shortcut? As I say, I just want to drag and drop a file - nothing complicated!

@matt  

I have had weird behavior occasionally on my Macbook. Especially when dragging files from Finder into Assets. I have been able to sort my files in the Project Navigator with little issue, however. It shouldn't require any key presses, by default. Just a click-hold+drag should do the trick I think.

@CJ  

Thanks everyone - I have solved the problem. Basically I have been pressing too firmly on the mousepad. Pressing more lightly has solved the problem. So will try to be less heavy handed from now on!

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by RevenueCat

SPONSORED Take the pain out of configuring and testing your paywalls. RevenueCat's Paywalls allow you to remotely configure your entire paywall view without any code changes or app updates.

Learn more here

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.