UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: Project 2: Placing functions after (or before) the body property.

Forums > 100 Days of SwiftUI

@Caleb  

https://www.hackingwithswift.com/books/ios-swiftui/showing-the-players-score-with-an-alert

On the link above (Project 2), Paul says to add the function "directly after the body property". I didn't understand why after vs. before, so I tried it in code both ways. Both worked fine.

So I'm guessing this is a style thing in coding, but can someone exlain why?

Thanks.

I think the main reason is that properties of a struct or class tend to be placed at the top and the functions after and body is a property, not a function.

This also has the effect of keeping body, which is the main point of a SwiftUI View, towards the top rather than buried among a bunch of other stuff. It's better organized to make reading the code easier.

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.