UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Mary's Accountability Thread

Forums > 100 Days of SwiftUI

Hello,

I've been working on learning SwiftUI for a few weeks now. I've decided to follow the rule to post my progress here .. seems the perfect place!

My schedule can be irregular; and that means that it'll not be a linear hour every day. Sometimes, I will have to go a few days without looking at SwiftUI and other days - like weekends, I will work several. Just the way it is.

Yesterday I worked on Days 28, 29, 30 and today Day 31, part 3. (The challenge for WordScramble).

**What daunts me*** Wondering when I will find the time to get to the point with the Views that I can create beautiful, complex components? I tried to be creative with the score output - in the end, I fell short of what I wanted in terms of looks , but ended up with something a bit better than just Score:<score> text. Of course, I. only eneded up with it thorugh googling! All in good time, eh? Get the basics down first?

Also, I'm comfortable with coding, having used C , shell scripting, Perl, Python, Java, Scala at work. Scala (and courseowrk in Python) taught me to get comfortable with functional style programming, I'm now comfortable with scala closures and optionals. But I'm feeling grumpy now about Swift's not using the more conventional split or trim commands.... wondering what other 'weirdness' (in my view) I'll have to learn for other functions. Oh well. I'll get over it, in time. :)

Overall, though, I'm finding workig with SwiftUI fun! I had started Dr. Angela's swift/IOS coure on Udemy. Course itself was great, but I detested messing with the layouts. I'm enjoying swift's reactive/stateless paradigm.

After completing these 100 days, I'm thinking my next steps will be the Stanford CS193p course and/or the Swift+ subscription.

Thanks, Paul, for making this content available!

Yesterday after I posted I did Day 32. Today I reviewd all of 32, again, and then did Day 33, and the review on Day 34. I'll save the challenge for tomorrow. I guess I spent over 2.5 hours altogether today. I found Day 33 pretty challenging. Paul's right, it's getting harder now!

Well it's been a long time since I posted. I found I was having a very hard time with the Day 34 Guess the Flag Challenge. Several nights I did not have time to go back to it, and other nights I just wanted to relax with my newly adopted kitty cat in my lap. :)

Because I had so much trouble with the challenge, I decided to review starting back from day 1. :) So I guess I did Day 34. I'm 'completed' parts I and 2 of 'Guess the Flag Animation' - Day 34. Almost. Some niggling questions I'll post in another thread, and I also have some refactoring to do.

For the 'wrong answer' challenge - I'd feel like I'd like to add sound ... which I'll wait to a later time to learn. I'm guessing it'll be covered here eventually. I also would eventually like to have the two wrong flags slide off the screen, while fading ou - and the correct flag scale up. I'll wait to later to go back to that. I feel a bit bruised with the Guess The Flag Challenge as it is. :)

I can't say I'm having lots of fun with this anymore. I did at the beginning. I hope this all becomes more natural to me, and then becomes fun again. I know I need lots and lots of practice, and I to find and read lots and lots of more code and examples.

One Week later ... My progress for this week is finishing up Projects 7 and 8. I really enjoyed these last two projects! At this point, I guess I've figured the way I'm approaching this course. Keeping up my detailed notes of each day's topics so I can go back and read them as I feel I need to, and for futrue reference. I also go over each day's contents at least twice - the day of and the next day, sometimes a quick review a few days later. This help me retain. For me, the key is not only practicing the coding and challenges, but going back again and again to review to make sure I'm retaning the concepts.

Definitely ending this week on a better note than I did when I was working on a flag animation. I think that just shows how things DO sink in by osmosis (or, constant practice rather!). I'm kinda tickled how I can look at some code for a view, skim it, and understand what's going on!

Hope everyone else is doing ok too!

I've finished Project 10 (day 52) ... but didn't do Challenge #3. I think it's a bit too advanced to me for tackle atm and the frustration level would be high. I am interested in getting to learn MVVM design pattern ... that's when I'll tackle re-designing code.

No real hang-ups for me on this Project as for me it's just learning API requests in a different language. I continue to be happy that I now understand the the View thing well. :). Thanks, Paul Hudson, once again.! That's half the battle, isn't it? Once we understand that we can free our brains to concentrate on the data part.

And an aside ... if I ONLY spent an hour a day, I'd take over a year to get this course done, I'm sure!!!

Onward .....

Project 11, Days 53 - 56 done.

Project 12, Days 57-59 done. WOW that was a LOT to ingest (with CoreData). I'm only going so fast now as I took the week off work and have had time to work on it. :)

I've read the requirements for the Challenge. I think it'll take one week, at least, each for me to complete. So here goes! I'm going to break it down in small little chunks, getting each part to work bit by bit.

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.