UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Learning SwiftUI

Forums > 100 Days of SwiftUI

You will not find a better teacher then Paul Hudson , just trust the process , all else is just emotional outbursts, and yes it takes time , i am also a beginner but i trust Paul Hudson and his message of taking one small step each day, you will get hold of all technicle stuff slowly but surely ...

Do not focus on end goal , enjoy the journey and embrace where you are at while working hard ...

Best of luck...

I would say don't worry about it if you can't remember how to do things on your own. As long as you are able to read the code, and make sense of it, you are on the right track. After you need to use something 5-10 times, and you have to keep going back to look at how to do it every time, it will solidify it in your brain more, and eventually, you will remember how to do it without even looking.

I remember the first time I worked on a project where we had to set up encoding and decoding data, and I thought there was no way I would ever remember how to set all that up on my own. Now I have done it so many times, I can write a struct that conforms to Codable without even having to look at examples. (Although, the autocomplete suggestions in XCode definitely still help) Remembering on your own will come with time and practice.

Learning to read Apple's documentation is something else that will come with time. Even if you feel like it is usually too hard to read and you don't usually gain anything from it, keep trying to take a look at their pages when you run into problems with certain things. At first it is confusing to look at. But, as you progress in your learning and learn more coding lingo, you will start to see patterns in how it is organized, and know the names for things that make it more understandable. Soon enough, you'll be able to read the pages with a near complete understanding. Well... maybe not soon... but some day!

Learning to use ImagePicker and adding an edit button to a list are covered in the projects of the 100 days of SwiftUI course.

Paul has a whole separate book about WatchOS available for purchase on this site if you want to learn more about that. Although, I haven't read that one myself yet.

As far as using iCloud and lock screen capabilities, I'm not sure where you could learn more about those. But I'm sure there are lots of resources out there.

Another tip for learning to use Apple's documentation. Start looking at pages for things that you already understand pretty well. Like, maybe look at the page for Button or Array. Try to spot things that you are familiar with, like their initializers or certain functions that you know can be preformed on Arrays. That might start to give you a better idea of how the pages are structured, and help you to learn more from the pages about other types.

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.