NEW: My new book Pro SwiftUI is out now – level up your SwiftUI skills today! >>

Laptop for Beginner Dev

Forums > 100 Days of SwiftUI

I'm new to Swift/SwiftUI and up until now, other than my iPhone, I've owned hardware only to support Windows-based development (I've done C# and ASP.NET work for years). Now, I want to start in on the 100 Days of SwiftUI course work and need iOS-based hardware.

What hardware do you recommend I buy for developing in iOS?

• It must be a laptop
  • I'm budget-conscious, so let's try to keep it reasonable
  • I want more than "just barely enough" computing capabilities, so let's not be too much on the cheap!
  • I intend to start developing lightweight apps after I've become productive with Swift/SwiftUI

Thanks

Whatever you choose I would look at refurbished laptops. You can get reasonably specced MacBook / MacBook Pro (previous models), for a more reasonable price.

If you work with cups of coffee / tea / other drinks on your desk, then I would also consider the extended protection from AppleCare+ ( I'm glad I did - personal experience).

Also think about having a local hard drive (for TimeMachine) and an offline source code store, such as GitHub, other stores exist if you prefer to use them instead.

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Stream

SPONSORED Build Chat messaging quickly with Stream Chat. The Stream iOS Chat SDK is highly flexible, customizable, and crazy optimized for performance. Take advantage of this top-notch developer experience, get started for free today!

Click here

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Reply to this topic…

You need to create an account or log in to reply.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.