UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Is there some sort of convention that I should follow to order var, let, enum, etc

Forums > 100 Days of SwiftUI

When defining a struct or class, I typically list all of my nested classes/structs first, then wrapped properties, then constants, then normal variables, then computed properties (with body as the last one), then init, then func.

I'm just wondering if there are rules as to how these whould be ordered or if people just do whatever they think is best?

[https://google.github.io/swift/] Provides a style guide. There are others and you may find educators or employers that have their own. Try google "swift style guide" and you will find something that suits you. But for now I would reccomend you just be consistent and not worry too much about it.

In HackingWithSwift projects, your code is small enough that you'll see enums, variables, etc all at the same time. But in more complex projects, these may be large chunks of code and you'll want some organization to find the enum, initializer, or variables that you needs.

While I won't suggest an order, I would suggest that you look into pragma marks. These will be very helpful for keeping your code organized.

See -> Finding Code in Large Source Files

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.