UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Edutainment Challenge: Passing Data between Views

Forums > 100 Days of SwiftUI

I'm trying to approach this project by creating two custom views: one for the settings and the other for the game. That being said, I've got to juggle between ContentView, Game, and Settings, and I don't know how to pass the data back and forth between these (to do things like keep a score, etc.). I've got a State variable in my ContentView that keeps track of a score, and I'd like for Game to be able to add to that, and I want Settings to be able to set it back to zero. How would I go about doing this?

Without giving too much away, have a look at this article from Paul. I would say using EnvironmentObject would best suit your circumstances and this article will explain to you what to do.

https://www.hackingwithswift.com/quick-start/swiftui/how-to-use-environmentobject-to-share-data-between-views

Dave

edutainment is challenge right before introduction of switching between views. so i think it should be done using everything you learned before day 36.

This answer might be coming in a bit late, $ essentiall means it's a Binding that wraps around a certain value.

Binding(
   get: { return x }
   set: { x = $0 }
)

by definition, we can then pass these values as Binding<Type> and store them. This will then create a 2 way binding on every view holding this value.

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.