UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: Disappointed by this: Please do not post here that you finished one particular day, because it creates a lot of clutter.

Forums > 100 Days of SwiftUI

I have to say I'm disappointed by this:

Please do not post here that you finished one particular day, because it creates a lot of clutter. This forum is for questions and knowledge sharing. Before you add your reply, please consider: does this really improve the conversation? Constructive criticism is welcome, but criticize ideas not people.`

Coming here and posting about my progress has been one of the things that has helped keep me motivated. It helped me to make some connections and while many of my posts did not generate responses, some of them did with people experiencing the same issues or struggles and I felt they have helped a couple of others when they were stuck in the process.

If it

creates too much clutter

then a separate category could be made that doesn't get posted on the main feed, but whatever; It's not my forum and I'm generally one to follow the rules.

I don't do social media because of many negative experiences I've had with it, not too mention all the ads, political garbage and agendas that people push. I had found this to be a safe place where I could share my progress in the course, without having to deal with that but I guess that's finished.

Vince: To be honest, following your progress has been a tremendous(!) motivation for me. Your steady progress, and honest reports of some setbacks, have pushed me to revisit some lessons along the way, and your questions reveal a lot about your growth path.

Sometimes I've answered your questions hoping to help you out. But often, it was a push for me to review the lessons, and try to think of a different way to explain the concept to you. If I succeeded in answering your question with a different example (kitchen example) or with some code explanation, then It confirmed that I also had learned the lesson.

I would not have had this extra push if it weren't for you posting your daily progress!

I had found this to be a safe place where I could share my progress in the course, without having to deal with that but I guess that's finished.

No! No it is not!
Keep it up.

Thanks Obelix,

I appreciate all your feedback and answers. You've definitely been helpful and have provided plenty of encouragement for me as well.

Unfortunately, I keep staring at this statement:

This forum is for questions and knowledge sharing.

Which leads me to believe this forum isn't for encouragement or support with getting through the 100 Days, it's mainly for answering questions that arise.

Anyway, it takes me awhile to process things. So, it will probably take me a little bit to figure out what my next step is at the moment. For the moment I plan on continuing with the course but not posting about my daily progress.

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

I'll second that! What a disapointment. I have been away from the course for too many days and I finally got back to it and completed a section. I was feeling super proud of myself and I wanted to share that with the community to encourage others who may have gotten distracted with other parts of life; as I did.

feeling sad now...

@ty-n-42, glad to hear you're back it. Keep up the progress, one step at a time. It is sad.

I've deleted all my past posts on completed days to adhere to this:

Please do not post here that you finished one particular day, because it creates a lot of clutter. This forum is for questions and knowledge sharing.

I have, however, continued my habit of posting about my progress. I didn't want to stop because I found it to be helpful and it definitely is a habit at this point. I'm posting on a WordPress website. It's fairly basic and I doubt it will be as helpful as posting on the forum was for me, but I wanted to find another way to continue doing it. This is the site for anyone who is interested:

ducttapecoding.com

@twostraws  Site AdminHWS+

Hello!

My goal isn't to put people off – everyone should be encouraged to share their progress, and get feedback on their work.

That being said, there is a big gap between "do not post that you finished one particular day" and "do not post at all" – have you considered maybe posting one thread for your whole progress, adding a new reply each day? That way all 100 posts end up being a single link in the forums, removing any possibility of clutter, but you still get to post your code and get any replies from others.

I'd be happy to change the wording on the forums to help find something that works for everyone – that encourages folks to contribute and share their progress, but ideally not creating a new post for every day.

Paul

I hear what you are saying @twostraws and I get it - it may seem cluttered to some. However, having those post titles in front of me when I come to the forum is a real benefit; for me at least. It's hard to explain how encouraging and inspiring it is to see others making progress - it lifts my enthusiasm tremendously.

FWIW I think a single post for all progress would work. I would encourage people to update their post title to highlight the latest progress they are sharing. I will start doing this from now on.

Thanks for the course and your consideration of our feelings.

Paul, posting under a single thread had occurred to me this morning, but until I read the post from you, I wasn't aware that was going to be allowed. I do wonder if the post itself would get unwieldly with a 100 plus replies, considering there might be some comments from others added to the progress replies At this point, I'm on Day 68 and have fewer days left to post than someone else who was just starting out, so it may not become an issue for me, but it might for someone else. Anyway, I guesss I would prefer that to not posting anything.

So far, the 100 Days of SwiftUI has been great. It's also been brutally hard at points. I really think this forum is the best place to get encouragement and support for getting through the 100 days, because others on here have already gotten through it or are struggling through it as well. So, there is both the fellowship of we're struggling together and the you can get through it because I did and I got stuck there too. At least, that has been my experience.

I appreciate the flexibility in trying to find a solution that works.

I would do something in the middle, I don't think it has to be all or nothing.

How about posting by groups of days. Like "Day 1-10 progress" or by project like "100 days of swiftui - Project 13 progress".

I think that would help better consolidate topics together and replies to the same project.

either way, this community is great :)

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.