UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Day 60, FriendFace - friends list problem + init() trick

Forums > 100 Days of SwiftUI

I'm going through this again and there are some things I don't understand. Please help me.

Problem 1

first part of this challange is about struct based DataModel. When the task is done we can see the info about a user in another view. But I can see a difference between Friends section in struct based DataModel and CoreData implementation. Somehow friends amount changes. Example:

struct Friends vs coreData Friends

struct coreData

First I thought it's because of Constraints or MergePolicy but changing constraints or deleting them entirely didn't change anything. The difference in amount of friends remains. It's a same person but the list of friends has decreased.

Why it happens ? Can someone please explain ?

Problem 2. During Pauls solution for CoreData implementation in second part of the challange he is making a next method:

func updateCache(with downloadedUsers: [UserDataModel]) {
        for user in downloadedUsers {
            let cachedUser = CachedUser(context: moc)

cachedUser.id           = user.id
            cachedUser.isActive     = user.isActive
            cachedUser.name         = user.name
            cachedUser.age          = Int16(user.age)
            cachedUser.company      = user.company
            cachedUser.email        = user.email
            cachedUser.address      = user.address
            cachedUser.about        = user.about
            cachedUser.registered   = user.registered
            // small trick here as we don't have an Array of Strings
            cachedUser.tags         = user.tags.joined(separator: ", ")

for friend in user.friends {
                let cachedFriend = CachedFriend(context: moc)

cachedFriend.id     = friend.id
                cachedFriend.name   = friend.name

cachedUser.addToFriends(cachedFriend)
            }
        }
        try? moc.save()
    }

I understand the method itself, what we're trying to achieve here.

But after he's finished he's mentioning one thing at 15:55 of the video solution:

"We could put most of this code to our User (dataModel) struct or even to our CachedUser Class (from CoreData?), no users could have a create cachedUser object returns cachedUser with all that stuff copied across. Or add a custom init() for a CachedUser that has init() with a user + the context ("that create with" ? can't make out). I'd be happy with either of those... but of the two the init() feels more natural to me, having this inside a CachedUser initializer will make sense. "

Can someone please explain what way of writing the code is he talking about ?

Is this a first place where he's kinda touching the topic of MVVM concept he's introducing us in later days to ?

I couldn't figure this out 2 months ago and hesitated to ask people here. But even now when I decided to repeat the lessons to get the better understanding I still can't get it. Maybe now with the help of someone I will become a little better.

Thanks everyone !

I apologize but what did I do to deserve being ignored ?

TAKE YOUR SKILLS TO THE NEXT LEVEL If you like Hacking with Swift, you'll love Hacking with Swift+ – it's my premium service where you can learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI, functional programming, algorithms, and more. Plus it comes with stacks of benefits, including monthly live streams, downloadable projects, a 20% discount on all books, and free gifts!

Find out more

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.