UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: Day 6 Challenge

Forums > 100 Days of SwiftUI

This was fun but I'm wondering if there is always more than 1 way to solve a problem, and if so what makes 1 version better or worse?

My solution was to use a while loop.... please feel free to leave me a comment as this is my first time learning any coding language so encouragement and pointers are welcomed.

var number = 1

while number <= 100 {

//check for multiple of 3 and 5
    if number % 3 == 0 && number % 5 == 0 {
        print("FizzBuzz")
    }

//check for multiple of 3
    else if number % 3 == 0 {
        print("Fizz")
    }

//check for multiple of 5
    else if number % 5 == 0 {
        print("Buzz")
    }

// or just print the number
    else {
        print("\(number)")
    }
    number += 1
}

In Swift, you should really use isMultiple(of:) instead of the remainder operator %. It reads better and it functions better on certain edge cases.

Which is easier to understand?

if number % 3 == 0 && number % 5 == 0 {
    print("FizzBuzz")
}

or:

if number.isMultiple(of: 3) && number.isMultiple(of: 5) {
    print("FizzBuzz")
}

while tends to be used for indeterminate conditions (that is conditionals where you are not certain exactly when they will become false).

For ranges it is better to use for … in …

for number in 1...100 {

var result = ""

if number.isMultiple(of: 3) {
        result += "Fizz"
    }

if number.isMultiple(of: 5) {
        result += "Buzz"
    }

if result.isEmpty {
        result = String(number)
    }

print(result)
}

A bit less readble, but they do the same job, and are a variations on a theme using combinations of ternaries

for number in 1...100 {
    number.isMultiple(of: 3) ? (number.isMultiple(of: 5) ? print("FizzBuzz") : print("Fizz")) : number.isMultiple(of: 5) ? print("Buzz") : print(String(number))
}
for number in 1...100 {
    var result = ""
    result = number.isMultiple(of: 3) ? (number.isMultiple(of: 5) ? "FizzBuzz" : "Fizz") : number.isMultiple(of: 5) ? "Buzz" :
    String(number)
    print(result)
}
for number in 1...100 {
    print (number.isMultiple(of: 3) ? (number.isMultiple(of: 5) ? "FizzBuzz" : "Fizz") : number.isMultiple(of: 5) ? "Buzz" :
    String(number))
}

@roosterboy thank you, somehow I found the % before I found the isMultiple(of: ) and yes it is much easier to read.

@Greenamberred while felt familiar to me as I have used this function in filemaker but as you point out using for … in … is more appropriate.

Thank you both for taking the time to help out

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.