UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: Day-5 Inout Parameters(i.e)

Forums > 100 Days of SwiftUI

For example, if you want to double a number in place – i.e., change the value directly rather than returning a new one – you might write a function like this:

In this sentence Paul said i.e but ı dont know what does it mean. Can anyone explain?

He means that you could write a function like this to double a number and return the value...

var myNumber = 5

func doubleAndReturn(number: Int) -> Int {
    return number * 2
}

myNumber = doubleAndReturn(myNumber)

print(myNumber)

(Notice that this function returns an Int, and we set myNumber equal to the thing that is returned when we call the function.)

Or your could write a function like this to double the number in place...

var myNumber = 5

func doubleInPlace(number: inout Int) {
    number *= 2
}

doubleInPlace(myNumber)

print(myNumber)

(Notice here that this function does not return anything, and we do not need to set our variable equal to the return value of the function. We simply call the function, and the variable's value is changed inside of the function when the function is called.)

Maybe I misunderstood the question...

If you are just asking what "i.e." means, it is an abbreviation for the Latin phrase "Id est" which means "That is"

It's sometimes used as an alternative to saying "In other words" or "For Example"

Howdy,

To build on FlyOstrich's idea the original sentence may be read as...

For example, if you want to double a number in place – that is to say, change the value directly rather than returning a new one – you might write a function like this:

I'm assuming Paul then writes a function in the video.

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.