UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: Project16 Day 60: Map pins not showing

Forums > 100 Days of Swift

I have completed Project16 by following the instructions as far as I can tell, but in the end it isn't showing the map pins at all anymore.

When I add this function as instructed here, it causes the map pins to stop showing. But if I delete or comment out this function then it shows the map pins, just without annotation information available.

func mapView(_ mapView: MKMapView, viewFor annotation: MKAnnotation) -> MKAnnotationView? {
        guard annotation is Capital else { return nil }
        let identifier = "Capital"
        var annotationView = mapView.dequeueReusableAnnotationView(withIdentifier: identifier)        

if annotationView == nil {
            annotationView = MKAnnotationView(annotation: annotation, reuseIdentifier: identifier)
            annotationView?.canShowCallout = true

let btn = UIButton(type: .detailDisclosure)
            annotationView?.rightCalloutAccessoryView = btn
        } else {
            annotationView?.annotation = annotation
        }

return annotationView
}

I've looked over this function a few times now and can't seem to find any differences between this and what Paul gave us in the instructions. Does anybody know how to make this work?

And yes, I have made my ViewController the Delegate for the MKMapView and made it conform to MKMapViewDelegate as instructed.

Nevermind, I found the problem. I was using the initializer for MKAnnotationView(annotation:, reuseIdentifier:) instead of MKPinAnnotationView(annotation:, reuseIdentifier:)

However, after trying to use that, I found that it was depricated, so I ended up using MKMarkerAnnotationView(annotation:, reuseIdentifier:) instead, and now it is working as expected.

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.