NEW: Start my new Ultimate Portfolio App course with a free Hacking with Swift+ trial! >>

SOLVED: Problem: Project 10 how to apply value change to data source when selecting an item in collectionView.

Forums > 100 Days of Swift

Here I could see person.name = newName.text! it changes person.name and I could see the cell text was changed in app. But we don't do anything about data source people, so how it is affected here? Should we write people[indexPath.item].name = newName.text! instead?

override func collectionView(_ collectionView: UICollectionView, didSelectItemAt indexPath: IndexPath) {
        let person = people[indexPath.item]

let ac = UIAlertController(title: "Rename person", message: nil, preferredStyle: .alert)
        ac.addTextField()

ac.addAction(UIAlertAction(title: "Cancel", style: .cancel))

ac.addAction(UIAlertAction(title: "OK", style: .default) { [unowned self, ac] _ in
            let newName = ac.textFields![0]
            person.name = newName.text!

self.collectionView?.reloadData()
        })

present(ac, animated: true)
    }

Solved! The reason is that person is assigned with an instanse of class Person, so it is reference type, then what changed in person will changed too in related element in people array.

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by RevenueCat

SPONSORED Building and maintaining in-app subscription infrastructure is hard. Luckily there's a better way. With RevenueCat, you can implement subscriptions for your app in hours, not months, so you can get back to building your app.

Try it for free

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Reply to this topic…

You need to create an account or log in to reply.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.