UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

milestone covering projects 10-12 question. TableView cell won't show images

Forums > 100 Days of Swift

please ignore picker.sourcetype for now. I am still waiting on my ipad to arrive and xcode has refused to work with my iphone.

looking at this code, when I click the add button on the top of left of screen, I can pick images, but those images won't display on the tableView. Is there a reason why my images aren't being shown in a tableView like project 1? I added print statements, and I can see the imageArray is empty which it shoud not be right? From project 10, I remember we didn't need to do any json work just to display the images as grids. Now I know the tableView cell doesn't have an imageView like we had in the collectionView in project 10, but it should still display the image name right? so when I click it I can show it in the detail screen?

First here's my class where

import UIKit

class Person: NSObject, Codable {
    var names: String
    var photos: String

init(names: String, photos: String) {
        self.names = names
        self.photos = photos

}
}

and here's the main ViewController

import UIKit

class ViewController: UITableViewController, UIImagePickerControllerDelegate, UINavigationControllerDelegate {
    var imagesArray = [Person]()

override func viewDidLoad() {

super.viewDidLoad()
        navigationItem.leftBarButtonItem = UIBarButtonItem(barButtonSystemItem: .add, target: self, action: #selector(addPeople))
        print(imagesArray.count)
        // Do any additional setup after loading the view.
    }

override func numberOfSections(in tableView: UITableView) -> Int {
        return imagesArray.count
    }

override func tableView(_ tableView: UITableView, cellForRowAt indexPath: IndexPath) -> UITableViewCell {
        let cell = tableView.dequeueReusableCell(withIdentifier: "Detail", for: indexPath)
        let Person = imagesArray[indexPath.row]
        let imagePath = getDocumentsDirectory().appendingPathComponent(Person.photos)
        cell.imageView?.image = UIImage(contentsOfFile: imagePath.path)
        cell.textLabel?.text = Person.names
        tableView.reloadData()
        return cell
    }

@objc func addPeople(){
        let picker = UIImagePickerController()
        picker.sourceType = .photoLibrary
        picker.allowsEditing = true
        picker.delegate = self
        present(picker, animated: true)
    }

func imagePickerController(_ picker: UIImagePickerController, didFinishPickingMediaWithInfo info: [UIImagePickerController.InfoKey : Any]) {
        guard let image = info[.editedImage] as? UIImage else{return}
        let imageName = UUID().uuidString
        let imagePath = getDocumentsDirectory().appendingPathComponent(imageName)
        if let jpegdata = image.jpegData(compressionQuality: 0.8){
            try? jpegdata.write(to: imagePath)
        }
        let person = Person(names: "Unknown", photos: imageName)

imagesArray.append(person)

tableView.reloadData()
        print(imagesArray.count)
        dismiss(animated: true)
    }

override func tableView(_ tableView: UITableView, didSelectRowAt indexPath: IndexPath) {
        print("Hello")
    }

func getDocumentsDirectory() -> URL{
        let paths = FileManager.default.urls(for: .documentDirectory, in: .userDomainMask)
        return paths[0]
    }

}

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.