UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Day 99 question - array lookup

Forums > 100 Days of Swift

I have setup a simple json import to hold my list of words for concentration. Using the simplified technique, I am storying each pair of words as a class :

class Pair: NSObject, Codable {
    var word1: String
    var word2: String

init(word1: String, word2: String) {
        self.word1 = word1
        self.word2 = word2
    }
}

I am trying to search into an array of Pairs to find the word from the first card and to get it's word2, and then see if that matches the second card, but I am unsure how to do that lookup.

I receive a "Cannot convert value of type 'String?' to expected argument type 'Pair' if I try pairs.firstIndex(of: checkValue)

What is the correct way to search the array of Pairs, I really don't want to brute force it (even thought the number of values is pretty small.

firstIndex(of:) will get you the first index in an array, but that's not really what you want here. What you really want is the first Pair that has a word1 that matches your criteria. So you should be using first(where:) instead...

import Foundation

class Pair: NSObject, Codable {
    var word1: String
    var word2: String

init(word1: String, word2: String) {
        self.word1 = word1
        self.word2 = word2
    }
}

let pairs = [
    Pair(word1: "kiwi", word2: "grapefruit"),
    Pair(word1: "bread", word2: "butter"),
    Pair(word1: "brick", word2: "mortar"),
    Pair(word1: "leather", word2: "lace"),
    Pair(word1: "mental", word2: "physical"),
]

let checkValue = "leather"
if let firstWord = pairs.first(where: { $0.word1 == checkValue }) {
    print(firstWord.word2)
} else {
    print("not found")
}

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.