UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Day 9 - test,q6, struct types as an array?

Forums > 100 Days of Swift

struct Cat {
    static var allCats = [Cat]() // line 1: is this an array of struct Cat type?
    init() {
        Cat.allCats.append(self) //what is self? appending another struct Cat type to static allCats variable? i find it unusual to create arrays of struct types. Never seen before
    }
    static func chorus() {
        for _ in allCats {
            print("Meow!")
        }
    }
}

//my own code to test struct

let catTest = Cat() //create instance of Cat struct

Cat.init() //add another Cat struct type

Cat.chorus() //prints 2 times cos allCats has 2 elements appended from above 2 lines

//end

Hi, I am not sure if I understand the code. Is line 1 creating a static variable array with data type as struct? How would such an array with struct data type be used? Will this array have struct elements with each element having Cat struct properties and methods?

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.