UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Day 44 Challenge. Refactoring

Forums > 100 Days of Swift

Hello everyone, I completed the challenge, but it seems to me that my code looks bad.

What I don't like:

1. I check if the user clicked on the cell before by comparing the name with the standard "Unknown", I think this is bad. If the default name is changed in the code, then the application will not work as it should. Is there any other way to track if the user has previously changed the name in a different way?

2. I don't like that I have to write the same code several times, namely to create two UIAlertController and create and add UIAlertAction for each. I tried to write a showAlert function that I could call and change only the text, but I didn't succeed.

func showAlert(title: String, message: String, indexPath: IndexPath) {

let person = people[indexPath.item]

let ac = UIAlertController(title: title,
                                   preferredStyle: .alert)

ac.addTextField()

ac.addAction(UIAlertAction(title: "Cancel", style: .default))

ac.addAction(UIAlertAction(title: "OK", style: .default) { [weak self, weak ac] _ in

guard let newName = ac?.textFields?[0].text else { return }

person.name = newName

self?.collectionView.reloadData()
        })

present(ac, animated: true)
    }
 func collectionView(_ collectionView: UICollectionView, didSelectItemAt indexPath: IndexPath) {

if person.name == "Unknown" {

showAlert(title: "Add username",
        } else {

let questionController = UIAlertController(title: "Delete user?",
                                                       preferredStyle: .alert)

questionController.addTextField()

questionController.addAction(UIAlertAction(title: "Rename",
                                                       style: .default) { [weak self, weak questionController] _ in

guard let newName = questionController?.textFields?[0].text else { return }

person.name = newName

} )

questionController.addAction(UIAlertAction(title: "Cancel",
                                                       style: .cancel))

questionController.addAction(UIAlertAction(title: "Delete",
                                                       style: .default)  { _ in

self.collectionView.deleteItems(at: [indexPath])

self.people.remove(at: indexPath.item)
            })

present(questionController, animated: true)
        }
    }
}

I did mine like this...

override func collectionView(_ collectionView: UICollectionView, didSelectItemAt indexPath: IndexPath) {

let changeNameAlertController = UIAlertController(title: "Change Name", message: nil, preferredStyle: .alert)

changeNameAlertController.addTextField()

changeNameAlertController.addAction(UIAlertAction(title: "Cancel", style: .cancel))

changeNameAlertController.addAction(UIAlertAction(title: "OK", style: .default) { [weak self, weak changeNameAlertController] _ in
            guard let newName = changeNameAlertController?.textFields?[0].text else { return }
            person.name = newName
        })

let editOptionsAlertController = UIAlertController(title: "What would you like to do?", message: nil, preferredStyle: .actionSheet)

editOptionsAlertController.addAction(UIAlertAction(title: "Change Name", style: .default) { [weak self] _ in
            self?.present(changeNameAlertController, animated: true)
        })

editOptionsAlertController.addAction(UIAlertAction(title: "Delete", style: .destructive) { [weak self] _ in
            self?.people.remove(at: indexPath.item)
        })

editOptionsAlertController.addAction(UIAlertAction(title: "Cancel", style: .cancel))

present(editOptionsAlertController, animated: true)
}

Mine doesn't check if they have changed the name before, because that shouldn't really matter. It still allows them to change the name again any time they click on the cell, even if they have already changed the name before.

It still involves creating 2 separate alert controllers. But I don't really think that is something that needs to be avoided.

I didn't use a showAlert() function at all. Just used the present() function to show the alert with the options in it, then had the alert's action call present again to show the alert where they could change the name.

Although, looking at my code again now, this way is probably better...

override func collectionView(_ collectionView: UICollectionView, didSelectItemAt indexPath: IndexPath) {
        let editOptionsAlertController = UIAlertController(title: "What would you like to do?", message: nil, preferredStyle: .actionSheet)

editOptionsAlertController.addAction(UIAlertAction(title: "Change Name", style: .default) { [weak self] _ in
            let changeNameAlertController = UIAlertController(title: "Enter New Name", message: nil, preferredStyle: .alert)
            changeNameAlertController.addTextField()
            changeNameAlertController.addAction(UIAlertAction(title: "Cancel", style: .cancel))

changeNameAlertController.addAction(UIAlertAction(title: "OK", style: .default) { [weak changeNameAlertController] _ in
                let person = self?.people[indexPath.item]
                guard let newName = changeNameAlertController?.textFields?[0].text else { return }
                person?.name = newName
            })

self?.present(changeNameAlertController, animated: true)
        })

editOptionsAlertController.addAction(UIAlertAction(title: "Delete", style: .destructive) { [weak self] _ in
            self?.people.remove(at: indexPath.item)
        })

editOptionsAlertController.addAction(UIAlertAction(title: "Cancel", style: .cancel))
        present(editOptionsAlertController, animated: true)
}

Then it only creates the changeNameAlertController when it is needed.

Hacking with Swift is sponsored by Essential Developer

SPONSORED Join a FREE crash course for mid/senior iOS devs who want to achieve an expert level of technical and practical skills – it’s the fast track to being a complete senior developer! Hurry up because it'll be available only until April 28th.

Click to save your free spot now

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.