UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

SOLVED: Day 28 - Project 5 (Word Scramble) - Issue with UITextChecker in isReal method

Forums > 100 Days of Swift

Hi people! I am really stuck at this part.

func isReal(word: String) -> Bool {
  let checker = UITextChecker()
  let range = NSRange(location: 0, length: word.utf16.count)
  let misspelledRange = checker.rangeOfMisspelledWord(in: word, range: range, startingAt: 0, wrap: false, language: "en")

return misspelledRange.location == NSNotFound
}

The problem is it always returns true for me, so it basically recognizes all words as real, even ridiculously obviously wrong ones:

For example when word is "wrenched", "wdrnhc" is accepted. The same for "inferred" and "refnd"

I would really appreciate any help! :)

Are you running your code on a simulator or a real device?

So silly! :S

I was running it on the simulator, tried it on a real device and works as it is supposed to.

Thank you so much @nemecek-filip!

I guess simulator does not have dictionaries to save disk space :-)

Yes, it makes perfect sense ;) Thanks again!

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.