UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS: Learn advanced Swift and SwiftUI on Hacking with Swift+! >>

Day 17 - how to close the keyboard on tap anywhere on the screen

Forums > 100 Days of Swift

I've been reading the tutorial about Hiding the keyboard in "WeSplit" app on day 17, and I thought that a nicer way to handle this than adding a button in the toolbar would be to dismiss the keyboard when the user taps anywhere on the screen outside of the field. However, I have no idea how to do that in SwiftUI.

I tried adding a .tapGesture to the whole form, but then it overrides everything else and I can't switch to any other controls like the segmented picker. From what I could find on StackOverflow, people usually suggested making a ZStack with some kind of fake almost-transparent overlay view that handles the taps, but that sounds like an ugly hack…

What's the most elegant/proper way to implement something like this - a tap recognizer on the whole view, but only in the background?

BUILD THE ULTIMATE PORTFOLIO APP Most Swift tutorials help you solve one specific problem, but in my Ultimate Portfolio App series I show you how to get all the best practices into a single app: architecture, testing, performance, accessibility, localization, project organization, and so much more, all while building a SwiftUI app that works on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Get it on Hacking with Swift+

Sponsor Hacking with Swift and reach the world's largest Swift community!

Archived topic

This topic has been closed due to inactivity, so you can't reply. Please create a new topic if you need to.

All interactions here are governed by our code of conduct.

Unknown user

You are not logged in

Link copied to your pasteboard.